Our Community Groups end-of-year gathering at the Box Factory took place on Monday 26 November 2012, a chance to celebrate the work on strengthening groups that has occurred during 2012, led by Natasha Davis.
We heard some inspiring stories of groups activities including:
- Monica demonstrating how easy it is to make and use a solar cooker
- Anne speaking about the success of her work on encouraging recycling through writing a comprehensive guide and creating an informative display that helps people to understand what can be recucled and how to do it
- Jo’s account of the planning and preparation for the Mitcham Sustainability Fair and its impact on those who attended as well as local council and elected members. The fair has put sustainability firmly on the agenda of the City of Mitcham which now has a Sustainability Officer
- Anne’s story about the tree planting day in Unley when fruit and nut trees were planted in public reserves and parks with the active support and help of the City of Unley
- Eleanor’s report on the One Planet Market, our monthly community market held at the Payneham Community Centre. This is an event that is well attended and supported by our members and others. It provides a friendly and accessible public face for Sustainable Communities, a forum for people to learn from our invited speakers and an enjoyable social occasion.
- Beth’s achievements with the establishment of Our Urban Village, a project that is helping us to live locally by seeking out locally based goods, services and resources
Congratulations to all our Community Groups for the work you have done during 2012! We encourage Sustainable Communities SA members to join their nearest group, or to start one if there is none in your area. We can help